Book: Tithe
Author: Holly
Black
Pages: 272
Date(s)
Read: June 25th, 2026 to August 17th, 2026
Date
Published: October 1st, 2002
Rating: 5/5
Genre: Fae, Romantasy
Characters: 5/5
Writing style: 5/5
Story: 5/5
Ending: 5/5
Cover: 5/5
Format: Hard Cover (Illumicrate Edition)
Date Bought: June
Book Cost: $30.00
Review:
I read this
book over 20 years ago in the early 2000s when I was a middle school student. I
hated it, now though reading it again as a 35 year old I'm not sure what I
hated so much about it. I think I was put off by Kayes and Ellen's relationship
and Ellen in particular.
Kayes
mother is super selfish, she struggles to make a living trying to live her
dream as a singer but when you're a parent that's not fair. You should put your
kid first and never once does Ellen do what's in the best interest of her daughter.
Because of Kayes upbringing she is a high school drop out who steals, drinks,
and smokes. She's kind of a bad kid.
She's
rather impulsive and tenacious though which makes her interesting. As a 35 year
old I found myself really rooting for her. When Kaye saves a mysterious
handsome man her world is turned up side down. She finds out the truth about
her circumstances and some of the magical abilities she has as well as her
child hood friends. Kaye also makes friends with her bff's weird, standoffish brother.
I admit the
story is unusual and trying to describe it without giving away big plot
elements is something I found to be quite difficult. It's a good book though
and really should be experienced, not just as one of Holly Blacks original
works but as an early 2000s YA/Urban Fantasy. Over 20 years later it's still
quite distinct.
I also read
the Illumicrate edition which had insightful and interesting annotations from
the author, beautiful endpage art, and a lovely hardcover illustration.

No comments:
Post a Comment