Friday, August 7, 2026

An Arcane Study of Stars review

 


Book: An Arcane Study of Stars

Author: Sydney J. Shields

Pages: 501

Date(s) Read: June 25th, 2026 to August 7th, 2026

Date Published: April 28th, 2026

Rating: 5/5

Genre: Dark Academia, Romantasy

Characters: 5/5

Writing style: 5/5

Story: 5/5

Ending:  5/5

Cover: 3/5

Format: Hard Cover

Date Bought: July 6th, 2026

Book Cost: 14.59

Review:

An Arcane Study of Stars is a well-written dark academia that actually revolves around the school instead of using it as a background drop.

 

In An Arcane Study of Stars, Claudia enters an otherworldly school to escape an arranged marriage to an 80-year-old. There she bargains with a God, solves a murder mystery, falls in love, and makes friends.

 

I really enjoyed the found family aspect; the characters are lovable, and I enjoyed their interactions. I was as invested in the side characters as I was in the main characters. The sexual tension between Cassius and Claudia is delicious; if you love some BDSM, you're really gonna root for this relationship. 

 

The only problems I had with this book is that there's no real halfway point between rivals to lovers. They go from avowed enemies to lovers in one fell swoop. It feels very sudden. I also got very little world-building from this world and the world Claudia comes from.

 

That being said, I loved this novel and the ending is a chefs kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Arcane Study of Stars review

  Book: An Arcane Study of Stars Author: Sydney J. Shields Pages: 501 Date(s) Read: June 25 th , 2026 to August 7 th , 2026 Date Published: ...