Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Daughters of the Sun and Moon review

 


Book: Daughters of the Son and Moon

Author: Lisa See

Pages: 384

Date(s) Read: July 9th, 2026 to July 22nd, 2026

Date Published: July 7th, 2026

Rating: 5/5

Genre: Historical Fiction, Asian Fiction

Characters: 5/5

Writing style: 5/5

Story: 5/5

Ending:  5/5

Cover: 5/5

Format: Hard Cover

Date Bought: July 7th, 2026

Book Cost: $27.03

Review:

Daughters of the Sun and Moon is a stunning novel about female friendship and how women can thrive in the face of adversity.

 

In 1871 Dove becomes a young wife to a 60-year-old business owner, Petal becomes a prostitute after being sold by her parents, and Moon is the wife of a local doctor. Through hardships and devastation, these women form an unbreakable, lifelong bond. Set against the backdrop of a massacre of Chinese in California, we watch these women endure a traumatic event and learn to make their way in a world torn apart by racism, sexism, and violence.

 

I loved the three characters. I admired Petal's adaptability and drive, loved Dove's femininity and perseverance, and Moon for her quiet strength and resilience. Each woman has a completely different story and background, but they come together within the bonds of sisterhood. All three characters have such depth and dimension that they feel real. 

 

This novel is a masterful work of historical fiction that is poetic and beautiful. I couldn't get enough of Lisa See's writing style. I felt a gamut of emotions while reading this, from joy to horror, trauma, and hope. This is a work that is so human you walk away feeling like you lived a lifetime through these three women.

 

If you like historical fiction at all this novel is one you need to drop everything for. I patiently waited this books release for months once I found out See was coming out with a new work. All I can say was this novel was worth every moment I waited and every dime I paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daughters of the Sun and Moon review

  Book: Daughters of the Son and Moon Author: Lisa See Pages: 384 Date(s) Read: July 9 th , 2026 to July 22 nd , 2026 Date Published: July 7...